Absence due to Illness
If your child is away from school for any reason, a written note of explanation to your child's teacher is necessary. If your child is to be absent from school for a week or longer, please notify the school office and your child's teacher. Notes are also required for part absences (if they are absent for part of the day). These notes are kept as official records.
Taking leave during the year
Requirements for student absence and travel
- 1-4 days absence: Parents must notify the school principal by mail or email (written).
- 5 or more days absence: Parents must complete and submit the Application for Extended Leave form (A1) prior to commencing leave. If approved the Principal issues a Certificate of Extended Leave (C1). If the principal declines this application (i.e it is not within the best interest of the child to take leave and be absent from school), a letter notifying parents that the application has been declined would be forthcoming.
Exemption from attendance
This relates to students who wish to participate in an accredited Elite Sports Program/Elite Arts Program, Employment in the Entertainment Industry or where there are exceptional circumstances.
- If the intended absence will be under 100 days, parents should complete and submit the Exemption from Attendance (A2) to the principal. The principal has the authority to approve up to 100 days each calendar year. If approved the principal will issue a Certificate of Approval.
- If the intended absence will be over 100 days, parents must complete and submit the Exemption from Attendance (A2) to the principal who will make a recommendation to the Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta (CEDP) Director System Performance (DSP).
- The DSP will then investigate the matter and will make a recommendation to the Executive Director. The Executive Director reviews the Exemption from Attendance and forwards a recommendation to the Minister of Education. If this application is approved the principal, will issue a Certificate of Approval (C2). Should this application be declined by the Minister, the principal will issue a letter of decline.
For additional information on accredited Elite Sport Program and Elite Arts program, contact the school office.
Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta has procedures and guidelines in place to achieve high standards of student attendance in collaboration with parents. Parents are required by law to ensure that children aged between 6 and 17 attend school. Schools are required to monitor and keep a register of student attendance in accordance with common codes which explain absences.
These forms are located in the Notes & Forms section of the website.
Written notes are also required for part absences, i.e. if absent for part of the day. All these notes are kept with the class roll as official records of attendance.
If your child needs to be collected before the end of the school day due to an appointment, please write a note in your child's diary or send a letter addressed to the teacher.
The parent is required to collect the child from the school office and sign the partial absence slip.
Notes explaining any absences need to be signed and dated.
Accidents / sickness at school
If your child is sick or has an accident at school, the office staff or class teacher make the decision regarding parent contact.
For this reason it is vital that you keep us up-to-date with home and work contact telephone numbers.